The Bilbao Ensanche or new town, sign of the city’s progress
Discover Bilbao’s transformation to accommodate the wealthy middle classes, its expansion as a city of importance for its port and industrialisation.
Bilbao’s new town, or Ensanche began prospering in the early 20th century thanks to the wealthy middle classes who wanted to leave the mark of their wealth and industrial success. The rich Bilbao families spared no expense in having their mansions built.
We will take a look at one of them, practically the only one still standing: Chalet Allende.
The tour will start at the Arriaga Theatre, icon of times gone by, making its way through the Old Quarter and over the Arenal Bridge to take in the earliest constructions, including the home of the Sociedad Bilbaína society.
The walk will continue through gardens and past cafés retaining their bourgeois style, until coming to Chavarri Palace in Plaza Moyúa
No customer comments for the moment.
- Includes: Guided tour from Arriaga Theatre Square to Plaza Moyúa
Guided tour of Indalecio Prieto Train Station
Pintxo-pote pintxo & pote combo
- Do not includes: Does not include travel to the location of the experience
- Minimum & Maximum of participants: Min 2 people
Max 20 people
- Duration: 1 hr 30 min
- When to go: All year
Dates without service:
24 December afternoon
December 31st afternoon
January 6 in the afternoon.
- Hour & Meeting Point: Arriaga Theatre
- Languages: Spanish, Basque, English, French and Italian
- Important Notes: Comfortable clothing and footwear
Cancellation policy. Returns:
75% before 72 hrs
50% before 48 hrs
25% before 24 hrs