Mutriku, a whaling town
Find out how important whaling once was in Mutriku. Let its historic buildings surprise you and finish off with a txakoli tasting and a snack at the harbour.
The meeting place is in the historic Plaza de Churruca in the locality of Mutriku, with its monumental church and the entrance to the winding streets of the mediaeval town as the backdrop. A brief introduction lasting about 15 minutes is followed by a visit to the church itself, then a 45-minute guided walk through the historic old town with commentary on its history, characters, stories and legends.
Next stop is the Bentalekua museum, where you can find out more about Mutriku’s whaling and fishing traditions. Visitors can also try selling fish using a unique contrivance from the old fish market.
Round off the experience by tasting some traditional local txakoli (white wine) and anchovies from the harbour.
No customer comments for the moment.
- Includes: Guided tour of the historic town of Mutriku: its streets, church, palaces, great houses, etc.
Entrance to the Bentalekua museum: guided tour and simulation of selling fish
Tasting txakoli and a snack with anchovies in Mutriku harbour
- Do not includes: Does not include travel to the location of the experience (please enquire about the possibility of transfers).
- Minimum & Maximum of participants: No minimum group required
- Duration: 2 hours
- Highlights: The mediaeval town of Mutriku and its special ties to whaling
The Bentalekua museum with its distinctive contrivance for selling fish. Simulation of the sale of fish by visitors.
- When to go: All year round
- Languages: Spanish, English, German